Brenda Davis for Texas State Board of Education District 9
About Brenda Davis
I am a retired journalism and English teacher, a graduate of UTA with a degree in communications, a wife and mother of two and grandmother of four. I am a product of Texas public schools as are my children and grandchildren. My daughter is a former dyslexia teacher and is currently a 504 coordinator in the Frisco ISD. I have a niece and a nephew who teach in Texas public schools. Running as a representative on the State Board of Education seemed like a natural progression for me. My goal as a representative is to give teachers a voice in Austin and to advocate for rural districts.
The State Board of Education (SBOE) sets policies and standards for Texas public schools. The primary responsibilities of the SBOE include:
- Setting curriculum standards
- Reviewing and adopting instructional materials
- Establishing graduation requirements
- Overseeing the Texas Permanent School Fund
- Appointing board members to military reservation and special school districts
- Providing final review of rules proposed by the State Board for Educator Certification
- Reviewing the commissioner’s proposed award of new charter schools, with authority to veto a recommended applicant
Follow My Campaign
Get campaign updates delivered directly to your inbox.
PAID FOR BY: BRENDA DAVIS FOR EDUCATION CAMPAIGN